Are you interested in Music Haven? Start by answering the following questions...
1. Do you live in one of the following Promise Zone neighborhoods of New Haven?
Beaver Hills, Dixwell, Dwight, Edgewood, Fair Haven, Fair Haven Heights, the Hill, Long Wharf, Newhallville, West River, or parts of Amity, the Annex, Downtown, East Rock, Quinnipiac Meadows or Wooster Square? Not sure? Check out the map below!
2. Do you want to learn how to play a string instrument?
3. Are you motivated, hard-working and ready to practice?
Program Information . . .
Music Haven is a tuition-free music program that builds community and positive youth development through music education and performance. We serve students who reside in the Promise Zone neighborhoods of New Haven (Beaver Hills, Dixwell, Dwight, Edgewood, Fair Haven, Fair Haven Heights, the Hill, Long Wharf, Newhallville, West River, and parts of Amity, the Annex, Downtown, East Rock, Quinnipiac Meadows and Wooster Square). Once enrolled, we make a commitment to our students through high school graduation. We have been around since 2006, and some of our original students will graduate in 2017.
We accept applications for students in grades 1 through 6. Once accepted to Music Haven, students make a commitment to stay with us until they graduate from high school.
Music Haven provides youth with valuable tools to expand their creativity, discipline, communication, teamwork, and critical thinking skills.
No prior musical knowledge is necessary, but you must live in one of the Promise Zones neighborhoods of New Haven — Beaver Hills, Dixwell, Dwight, Edgewood, Fair Haven, Fair Haven Heights, the Hill, Long Wharf, Newhallville, West River, and parts of Amity, the Annex, Downtown, East Rock, Quinnipiac Meadows and Wooster Square — and be willing to commit yourself fully to the program before applying.
Expectations . . .
All participants must understand that Music Haven is a rigorous program and be prepared to make the year-round commitment.
All students will attend the following: Two or three weekly one-hour lessons and classes between 2:30pm-6pm. Evening and weekend workshops and performances throughout the year.
As a Music Haven participant, parents are required to:
• Get students to and from all lessons, classes, and events on time every time
• Make sure students practice at home every day, and also attend three meetings per year with your child and his/her teacher
• Make sure that every time your child performs, you and/or other friends and family members are in the audience
School Year, September-June:
• Parents/Guardians must provide transportation to and from lessons and on weekend events. Our three locations are John. C. Daniels School at 569 Congress Avenue, Wexler-Grant School at 55 Foote Street and our offices at 117 Whalley Avenue.
¿Hablas español? Llene su solicitud aquí.
Please read the Student and Parent/Guardian expectations above. Click the checkbox below to accept that you can commit to all of the expectations. *